AARP Recommends Consulting Funeralocity.com for Funeral Prices
July 7, 2020 – Nobody likes to talk about death or funerals, but you can make it easier on your family by planning ahead for your own end of life services. According to a 2018 survey by the National Funeral Directors Association, only 26% of people discuss funeral plans with a loved one. This can make things more emotionally difficult and stressful when the time of death approaches.
An article by AARP outlines 8 essential tips for making smart decisions about funeral planning:
- Learn what’s involved: There are a lot of options when it comes to planning a funeral. Do research and find checklists that aid in your preparation.
- Plan in advance, but don’t pay in advance: Paying now may help you lock in prices today, but you also may lose your money if you move locations or want different options.
- Find out average costs: Look to online resources to find out the average price of various services.
- Shop around: Don’t just buy a funeral without checking out more than one funeral home. Funeralocity.com allows consumers to compare the prices and services of all of the funeral homes in their area.
- Understand the package deal: Ask the funeral home for a list of the individual items included in a package.
- Buy only what you want: You do not have to purchase all of the items included in a funeral home package, and you do not have to buy everything directly from the funeral home. You may be able to save money by flowers, an urn or even a casket somewhere else.
- Consider joining a memorial society: Memorial societies may offer you discounts and planning assistance.
- Talk it over and write it down: Have conversations with your family now so that they know your wishes and are not burdened by tough decisions later.